International Building Code 110.1
Use and occupancy. No building or structure shall be
used or occupied, and no change in the existing occupancy
classification of a building or structure or portion thereof shall
be made until the building official has issued a certificate of
occupancy therefor as provided herein. Issuance of a certificate
of occupancy shall not be construed as an approval of a viola-
tion of the provisions of this code or of other ordinances of the
International Building Code 110.2
Certificate issued. After the building official inspects
the building or structure and finds no violations of the provisions
of this code or other laws that are enforced by the department
of building safety, the building official shall issue a
certificate of occupancy that contains the following:
1. The building permit number.
2. The address of the structure.
3. The name and address of the owner.
4. A description of that portion of the structure for which
the certificate is issued.
5. A statement that the described portion of the structure
has been inspected for compliance with the requirements
of this code for the occupancy and division of
occupancy and the use for which the proposed occupancy
6. The name of the building official.
7. The edition of the code under which the permit was
8. The use and occupancy, in accordance with the provisions
of Chapter 3.
9. The type of construction as defined in Chapter 6.
10. The design occupant load.
11. If an automatic sprinkler system is provided, whether
the sprinkler system is required.
12. Any special stipulations and conditions of the building
International Building Code 110.3
Temporary occupancy. The building official is authorized
to issue a temporary certificate of occupancy before the
completion of the entire work covered by the permit, provided
that such portion or portions shall be occupied safely. The
building official shall set a time period during which the temporary
certificate of occupancy is valid.
International Building Code 110.4
Revocation. The building official is authorized to, in
writing, suspend or revoke a certificate of occupancy or completion
issued under the provisions of this code wherever the
certificate is issued in error, or on the basis of incorrect information
supplied, or where it is determined that the building or
structure or portion thereof is in violation of any ordinance or
regulation or any of the provisions of this code.