International Building Code 1901.1
Scope. The provisions of this chapter shall govern the
materials, quality control, design and construction of concrete
used in structures.
International Building Code 1901.2
Plain and reinforced concrete. Structural concrete
shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the
requirements of this chapter and ACI 318 as amended in Section
1908 of this code. Except for the provisions of Sections
1904 and 1910, the design and construction of slabs on grade
shall not be governed by this chapter unless they transmit vertical
loads or lateral forces from other parts of the structure to the
International Building Code 1901.3
Source and applicability. The format and subject matter
of Sections 1902 through 1907 of this chapter are patterned
after, and in general conformity with, the provisions for structural
concrete in ACI 318.
International Building Code 1901.4
Construction documents. The construction documents
for structural concrete construction shall include:
1. The specified compressive strength of concrete at the
stated ages or stages of construction for which each
concrete element is designed.
2. The specified strength or grade of reinforcement.
3. The size and location of structural elements, reinforcement,
4. Provision for dimensional changes resulting from
creep, shrinkage and temperature.
5. The magnitude and location of prestressing forces.
6. Anchorage length of reinforcement and location and
length of lap splices.
7. Type and location of mechanical and welded splices of
8. Details and location of contraction or isolation joints
specified for plain concrete.
9. Minimum concrete compressive strength at time of
10. Stressing sequence for posttensioning tendons.
11. For structures assigned to Seismic Design Category D,
E or F, a statement if slab on grade is designed as a
structural diaphragm (see Section 188.8.131.52 of ACI
International Building Code 1901.5
Special inspection. The special inspection of concrete
elements of buildings and structures and concreting operations
shall be as required by Chapter 17.